Today, data privacy, security, and governance are major concerns, propelled by the rising governmental regulations. More than a hundred countries have various data privacy laws , the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) being among the most prominent of them.
The Challenges of Regulation-Compliant AI
In this environment, AI developers and data scientists working with user data are facing several challenges:
- Making data both protected and accessible (when lawful disclosure is required)
- Creating ways of data sharing and processing that preserve privacy
- Learning to work with limited data, where its usage is restricted or regulated by law
- Maintaining enough flexibility and interpretability to provide sufficient transparency of processes
- For projects intended for multiple countries: providing compliance with varying regional laws regarding data privacy and security
This discussion aims at providing helpful guidelines to navigate and leverage data efficiently in this heavily regulated ecosystem.